Skip to main content

Present continuous tense versus present simple tense

Present Continuous vs Present Simple part  1 (Subject + am/is/are +v-ing and Subject + do/does)


Let's compare them together.

Present Continuous (Subject + am/is/are + v-ing) - We use the present continuous at or around the time of speaking. The action is not complete. For example,

I am writing my resume.

The water is boiling. Can you turn it off?  

Listen to those people. What language are they speaking?

A: ‘I’m busy.’   
B: ‘What are you doing?’

I’m getting thirsty. Let’s go and buy some drinks.

Kyle wants to work in China, so he’s learning Chinese.

The temperature of the world is increasing very fast.


Present Simple (Subject + do/does) - We use the simple for things in general or things that happen repeatedly. For example,

I do my homework every day.

Water boils at a 100 degrees Celsius.

Excuse me, do you speak Russian?

It doesn’t rain very much in summer.

What do you usually do in the afternoon?

I always get thirsty in the afternoon.

Most people learn another language when they are young.   

Every day the temperature of the world changes.


We use the continuous for temporary situations:

I’m living with my cousins until I find an apartment of my own.

A: You’re studying hard today.
B: Yes, I have a lot of homework to do.


We use the simple for permanent situations:

My grandparents live in New York. They have lived there all their lives.
Jane isn’t lazy. She works hard most of the time.


What is the difference between I always do and I’m always doing?

I always do (something) means I do it every time. For example,

I always go to work by bus. (not I’m always going)

‘I’m always doing something’ has a different meaning. For example,

‘I’ve lost my glasses again. I’m always losing things.’

I’m always losing things means I lose things very often, perhaps too often, or more often than normal.

You’re always playing computer games. You should do something more active. This means you play computer games too often.

Mina is never satisfied. She’s always complaining. This means she complains too much.


Present Continuous and Present Simple part 2 (Subject + am/is/are + v-ing and Subject + do/does)


We use continuous form for actions and happenings that have started but not finished (they are reading/it is snowing etc.) Some verbs (for example, know and like) are not normally used in this way. We don’t say ‘I am knowing’ or ‘they are liking’; we say ‘I know’ ‘they like’.

The following verbs are not normally used in the present continuous:

like   love   hate   want   need   prefer  know   realize   suppose   mean   understand   believe   remember  belong   fit   contain   consist   seem

I’m thirsty. I want something to drink. (not I’m wanting)

Do you understand what I mean?

Dean doesn’t seem very excited at the moment.

She believes in God.

It belongs to me.

My bag contains some books.

We prefer going to the mall.

They hate using the metro.

CAREFUL!

1. Think versus thinking

When thinks means ‘believe’ or ‘have an opinion’, we do not use the continuous:

I think Mario is Italian, but I’m not sure. (not  I’m thinking)
What do you think about my opinion? = What is your opinion?

When think means ‘consider’, the continuous is possible:

I’m thinking about the meeting tomorrow. I often think about it.
Trevor is thinking of giving up his position. =This means that  he is considering it.



2. She is selfish versus She is being selfish

He’s being means He’s behaving/He’s acting. Let's compare:

I can’t understand why she’s being so selfish. She isn’t usually like that.

(being selfish means behaving selfishly at the moment)

She never thinks about other people. She is very selfish. (not He is being)

(He is selfish generally, not only at the moment)

We use am/is/are to say how somebody is behaving. It is not usually possible in other sentences. For example,

It’s cold today. (not It is being cold)

Diego is very bored. (not is being bored)


We normally use the present simple (not continuous) with these verbs: see   hear   smell   taste

Do you see the woman over there? (not Are you seeing)

This office smells. Let’s open the door and windows.

We often use can + see/hear/smell/taste:

We can hear a strange noise outside. Can you hear it?

She can smell the fragrance of flowers from here.


You can use the present simple or continuous to say how somebody looks of feels now:

You look well today. | Or | You’re looking well today.

How do you feel now? | Or | How are you feeling now?

but

I usually feel tired in the afternoon. (not I’m usually feeling)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vocabulary about transport adjectives

Vocabulary about transport adjectives safe – dangerous  empty – crowded / full  comfortable – uncomfortable  cheap – expensive  clean – dirty  fast - slow ​Positive: fast, safe, empty, comfortable, cheap, clean  Negative: slow, dangerous, crowded, uncomfortable, expensive, dirty  Writing practice - Write about the metro or transport system in your place. For example, ​ ​The Rome Metro is unusual because it’s in a capital city, but it only has two underground lines. There are very old buildings above and below the ground everywhere in Rome so it’s very difficult to build metro lines in the centre. Conversation practice - Find and underline the transport adjectives used in the conversation. ALICE Hi, Steve. Sorry I’m late. It was the traffic. So how did you get here?  STEVE On the metro, of course.  A Really? Do you use the metro?  S Yes, I love going on the metro, it’s so quick. It only took half an hour. Don’t you use the metro?  A No,

Vocabulary about transport

Vocabulary about transport Find four kinds of transport in the wordsnake below. jbusotaxiurboatnecarys 1. ___ 2. ____ 3. ____ 4. ___ The other letters spell ________. Vocabulary support Aeroplane vs plane  Aeroplane is the more formal word, but plane is more common in everyday English. Coach vs bus  A coach is similar to a bus, but more comfortable and used for longer journeys.  wheel − a circular object connected to a car/bus/train, etc. so that it can move Speaking 1. What do people often use to go on holiday?  2. What do people normally use to get to work or school?  3. What are unusual for people to use in your country? 4. What do you normally use?  ​Conversation KARA: My mum said you went on a long trip from North to South of Thailand.  HANS Yes, it was a wonderful trip – really fantastic.  K: How did you travel?  H: By train of course. K: I went on a long trip last year and I travelled by

There is, there are and prepositions

There is, there are and prepositions There is + singular noun There is a laptop on the table. There is a pen on the floor. There is a teacher in the room. There is a dog outside. Negative form There isn't a TV in my bedroom. There isn't a chair in the yard. There isn't a player in the basketball court. There isn't an orange in the fridge. Yes/no question Is there a river in your hometown? Is there a museum in that area? Is there an apple on the table? Is there a flower shop in that place? There are + plural noun There are students in the classroom. There are beautiful parks in my hometown. There are two malls in our province. There are books in the office. Negative form There aren't cinemas in that place. There aren't tables in the room. There aren't people in the church. There aren't photos in my book. Question form Are there good restaurants in your city? Are there shops